Wednesday, July 26, 2006

File Under: Things You Don't See Everyday

I was downtown the other day running some errands and saw something very interesting when I was stopped at the light at First and Oak streets.  There walking down Oak Street was an Asian family carrying bags of groceries from the 'hood Krogers (affectionately called Kroghetto).   In and of itself, that's not very interesting, and it's a common sight for that area of town.  The interesting part was what was in the almost see-through plastic grocery bags; three of the family members were carrying grocery bags full of huge blocks of cheese.  WTF?  I've never seen anyone coming from a grocery store with so much cheese.

First, let me preface and say that I am not prejudiced, nor am I profiling by ethnicity.  But I didn't think that Asian people used that much cheese.  A co-worker's wife and in-laws are from Japan, and I hear him talking about the foods they cook with rice, tofu and various seasonings and spices.  But I've never heard him say that they cook using a lot of cheese. 

I did a quick online search and couldn't find any information about Asian cooking with cheese.  Maybe there are recipes out there, but I couldn't find them.  Who knows - maybe that family just likes cheese, and it was on sale so they decided to stock up.  I hope they also had a box or two of Ex-Lax or Metamucil in their grocery bags, too. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PUDDIN. I can't believe what I just read.

Asian people, whatever their extraction, are not "Oriental". Oriental is a word used for referring to objects, not people.

Don't make me have to come down there and smack you.  ;-)

~Lachlan
mysocalledblog.com

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected.  When I wrote that, it was about 2 in the morning before my Big Trip, and I hadn't gone to bed yet, and had to be at the airport at 6:00, so I was not thinking clearly.  

Thanks for being my "conscience", Lachlan.  You rock.  And I hope you still think I rock after that faux pas.

Anonymous said...

You know I do. :)

~Lachlan
mysocalledblog.com