Saturday, July 29, 2006

I'm Not Buying It, Floyd

Even you didn't hear about the new Chorizo sausage being added to the sausage race at the Milwaukee Brewers baseball game today, I'm sure you probably heard about the scandal over Floyd Landis winning the Tour de France this week.  In case you haven't heard, after Floyd won the Tour de France this week, he took a required urine test. After winning the 17th stage, he submitted to the drug test - standard for a stage winner - that showed an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone.  Now his title as winner is in question.  Floyd said that he wasn't involved in any doping (using steroids) and that the imbalance was caused by his body's natural metabolism.  Floyd said he's always had an unusually high level of testosterone. 

"He does not have a high level of testosterone. That's not been documented. He has a high ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in his urine," Landis' personal physician, Dr. Brent Kay, said Friday night on CNN's "Larry King Live."  Okay.  Potato, potahtoh; tomato, tomahtoh. 
 
I'm know nothing about steroids, other than having to get a prescription filled for Prednasone a few years ago when my allergies were bad, so I can't give any expert commentary about steroid use.  In Floyd's defense, I would think that if he took steroids the day of the last stage of the Tour de France, that they wouldn't just immediately kick in and cause his body to perform off the charts. I do know that body bulk and performance is built up over time, and not just after one dose of the juice. On the other hand,  it seems to me that if Floyd has an unusually high level of testosterone, it would have shown up on the urine test results long before now.  So to sum it up, I really don't know what to think about this.  I do think that something doesn't sound right about this, and I think that Floyd did have some type of perfromance-enhancing drug up his sleeve. I guess we'll know soon. 

No comments: