Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Mullet Watch

I'm happy to report that I survived not one but two days of the Waterfront Independence Day Festival.   It was hotter than hell on Monday, and yesterday it poured most of the afternoon and evening, but I survived.  Speaking of hell, on Monday evening, I was in the middle of WT hell.  There was 150,000 of us elbow to elbow down on the Great Lawn.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I was a bit claustrophobic with all of the people around me.  I was hot and thirsty, but didn't drink as much water as I should have simply because it would have taken forever to worm my way through the crowed to the Port-a-Pots.  It was crowded all right, but it was great for people- watching.  And watching people was what I did most of the evening.

I'm very happy to bring you news from the Waterfont. During Monday night's festivities (Trace Adkins in concert and fireworks) I spotted many mullets.  The crowning moment of the evening was not the fireworks or free music; the crowing moment came when at one point during the concert, I looked around and there within a 20 feet radius of my chair, was not one; not two; but three mullets.  The first belonged to a man sitting directly in front of me.  It was extremely long and must have had a dozen ponytail rings in it.  The second was another Hispanic mullet standing to the side of me. His wasn't as well cared for like the one we saw on Sunday, and he, too, was sporting a ponytail.  The third was a middle-aged mullet that had just begun to gray.  It was also pulled back in a ponytail.  I ask you - what are the chances of seeing three mullets at the same time? I don't think we've even seen that much mullet action at the State Fair. 

Mullet count: 31

No comments: