Thursday, September 30, 2004

This Means War

Since the beginning of the year, a battle has been raging on between me and Rumpke Waste Removal.  It looks like they're winning the battle. 

One early Thursday morning in January, my household was startled from our long winter's nap by the loudest crashing I'd ever heard at 3:00 in the morning.  I got out bed and looked out on the road, expecting to see a wreck, but didn't see anything.  After talking to my Dad the next day about this, he said that it was the big garbage trunk emptying the dumpster at the store two houses drown from us.  At first I thought "It's January, and we've had now and ice, so maybe the truck couldn't make it's route at the normal time."  Imagine my surprise the following Thursday morning at 3:00 when we heard the dumpster truck (who will be referred to as Dumpster Man from here on) once again, pick up the dumpster and slam it 3 times. 

On my way work a few hours later, I drove by the store and looked at the dumpster and saw that it was emptied by Rumpke.  As soon as I got to work, I called Rumpke and politely told them how our neighborhood really didn't appreciate the early morning wake-up call by Dumpster Man.  They apologized and said they would see what they could do.  We didn't hear Dumpster Man for a few weeks.  Halleluliah.  Then we heard him again early one Thursday morning.  Only this time it was 4:00.  Like the later time made a difference.  I called Rumpke again, and was given a [lame] excuse that they had a new driver.  Riiiight. 

And thus the pattern continues; a few weeks of silence followed by a week of shock and awe, followed by a phone call to Rumpke.  If nothing else, I am persistant and they won't wear me down. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had the same problem at my old house.  They would empty the dumpster at 3:00 or 4:00 in the a.m.  The crashing could wake the dead.  The first couple of times it happened I was single and lived alone and I thought someone was breaking down the back door.  You're just not expecting to hear something like that in (what I consider) the middle of the night.  What's up with that??