Thursday, September 16, 2004

Let The Bloodletting Begin

This morning at work, I wrote out my 5th check this week for co-workers' kids' fundraisers.  Yes, I'm a sucker for a good cause.  

If the kid brings the catalog/brochures to me in person, I turn into a bigger sap and will end up buying two items from them.  I want to feel like I've had an integral part in helping their kid meet their fundraising goal. I don't want the kid to tell their friends "Carla was cheap and didn't buy Shrek wrapping paper and now I can't win a limo ride to McDonalds."  If the parent/co-worker sends around the catalog/brochure, I feel obligated to buy something because I don't want my co-workers filling out the order form and not seeing my name on there and then telling everyone at work "Carla is a tight ass." 

I guess this is just my way of paying penance for all of the fundraisers I had in school, 4-H and in the youth group at church.  I couldn't begin to count all of the candy, candles, and miracle cleaning products that my family, friends, and parents' co-workers bought to help me out.  They might not have wanted the stuff, nor needed it, but they still bought it just because I was selling it. 

I'm hoping that my co-workers who extracted money from me this week will be extremely generous next week when I hit them up for a donation for the American Diabetes Association walk. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when we sold those spices?  There were four of them in a box.  I think dehydrated onion, black pepper, some type of "Old Bay" type red spice you could put on anything, and I don't remember the other one....but I'll bet a dollar you do!

I too, support the fundraisers.

Anonymous said...

OMG How could I forget the great Ninth and O spice sale?!!!  Of course I remember - the fourth was oregano/Italian seasoning.  If you look in the back of our kitchen cabinets, I'm sure you'll find at least a bottle or two from the sale.  LOL