Sunday, September 19, 2004

Link Of The Week

I have a new hobby - it's called cornhole.  It's called corn toss or baggo in other parts of the country, but here in the quad-states (Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, and Indiana) it's called cornhole.  It's played similar to horseshoes or yard jarts, but it's alot safer.  You don't have to worry about getting hit in the leg with a cast iron horseshoe or getting jabbed in the foot with a jart; the worst that could happen is getting hit with a bean bag.  Actually, you would be hit with a corn bag. 

Anything you'd ever want to know about cornhole can be found at the American Cornhole Association's website, www.playcornhole.org.  My Dad built our cornhole platforms using plans and instructions listed on the website.  You can build your own set as we did, or you can find them on EBay.  Let the buyer beware; EBay has sets that do not conform to the ACA regulation size of 2 feet by 4 feet.  If you're handy with a sewing machine, you can also make the bags; the instructions are also on the ACA website.  I got mine on EBay because we haven't figured out how to use Mom's new sewing machine yet. 

The game is played by tossing the aforementioned corn-filled bags at a 6-inch hole in the plywood platform from 30 feet away.  Not an easy task. At first the bags felt much heavier then the regulation 2 1/2 cups of corn filling them.  As with any game, there are rules to cornhole, and they, too, are listed on the website.  You can also order very cool cornhole t-shirts and can huggies.

We tried to play yesterday afternnon, but the neighbor's black Lab Rocky kept running off with the corn bags.  After he starting chewing on an old boot, we were able to continue our game.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTG, Pud!! Cornhole rocks.  I should have known you would do your part to introduce this wonderful game to Louisville.  If you come up for the concert Thursday evening, stop by the house and we'll play a game or two before the show, lol.  

Anonymous said...

You've teased me with this game long enough.  And I'll be my kiddos could even get in to the spirit!  Bring it over sometime soon and we'll have a "Welcome Fall" party, complete with chilli, cornbread twists and cornhole!  It sounds like a very autumny game to me.

Anonymous said...

The game sounds fun... but the name leaves a lot to be desired.  ;-)

Anonymous said...

After receiving comments from my Mother, I will now officially refer to the game as Corn Toss.  Her 70th birthday is the 23rd, and I sure don't want to offend her and nor get on her bad side.  

When I save up some cash, I think I'll buy a more portable game from Ebay - I've seen some that fold and clasp together like a suitcase.  I'm not real sure we could get our boards in the back of the Beemer.  

And Slugger, I'm sorry but I won't be making the trip up I-71 tomorrow night -  the Ohio River had the audacity to flood Riverbend, so the concert is cancelled.  It's rescheduled for October 7, but I already have a road trip planned for that night.  I'll get up there one weekend this fall to see ya.