Friday, September 17, 2004

Black Thursday

Thursday September 16 will go down in history as Black Thursday in Louisville; it was the day that gas prices skyrocketed over 30 cents. 

I needed gas yesterday morning on the way to work, but I was a slacker and procrastinated and didn't feel like stopping to get it.  Never mind I pass by over a dozen stores and gas stations on my way to work.  Flash forward to Thursday evening. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into Thornton's convenience store on the way home from work and saw the sign saying unleaded gas was $1.95.  The price sign might as well have been in flashing neon like on the Vegas strip.  I needed gas so I just stuck my debit card in the slot, pulled it out quickly as instructed, and took it like a woman.  I also cursed OPEC under my breath. 

My parents relayed an amusing related story.  Yesterday morning, they went a mile up the street to Krogers.  When they pulled into the parking lot, Kroger's gas was $1.62 (including the 3 cent discount when you use your Kroger card).  When they left the store a short 5 minutes later, the price had jumped up to $1.92 (which also included the aforementioned 3 cent discount).  They both smiled at each other, since they filled up their Blazer the day before. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this supposed to have something to do with the hurricane?  WTF???

Anonymous said...

If they don't blame it on Ivan, I'm sure it will be blamed on the Democrats or Republicans.  

Anonymous said...

Probably the hurricane, but I'm going with Bush!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world. Gas prices in Seattle have been in the $1.90ish range for months. With no end in sight. :(

Anonymous said...

If the gas prices go any higher, I guess I'll have to hitch up the donkeys to a wagon.  I'm sure we'd be the hit of bike night, LOL.