Monday, September 6, 2004

Of Do Rags and Afro Wigs

An interesting thing happend on the way to the Bats game this afternoon.  A friend and I were driving downtown to the ballfield, and in front of us on 2nd Street was an old beat up Toyota driven by a young woman with a male companion in the passenger seat.  The woman had on a bandana do-rag, like Aunt Jemima.  Since we were in the 'hood, this was not an all unfamiliar sight.  Then things got interesting.  In one swift motion, the woman reached up and pulled off the do-rag and put on an Afro wig.  No, it wasn't a rainbow afro wig like you see over-zealous fans wear at televised sporting events; this was a regular black Afro wig.  This all took place while the woman was driving.  I give her props for her driving ability - she didn't swerve nor go the least big off course while the do-rag/wig switch took place.  Then things took an even more intriguing turn.  As soon as the woman made a slight adjustment to her wig, she pulled into the Kroger supermarket (aka Kro-Ghetto). We wanted to follow her into the store, but it was nearing game time and we wanted to get a close parking space at Slugger Field. 

My first instinct about this was "she's putting on a disguise and she's going to rob Kro-Ghetto."  I called home after the game, and Mom said there was nothing on the early news about Krogers getting robbed by a woman wearing an Afro wig.  Scenes of Foxy Brown hiding her snub nosed .38 revolver in her afro wig came to mind.  I guess she was just fixing herself up a bit before doing her shopping.

Another interesting thing happened on the way home from the game - during the 15 minute trip home from downtown Louisville, I counted 3 rugs in the middle of the road, all spaced a few miles apart.  I guess someone who moved today is going to be in for a shock when they go to unload their rugs off of the truck and they aren't there.

For you sports fans,  the Bats won their last game of the season, 7-6 over the Indianapolis Indians.  As a side note, this was the only game I went to the season when the Bats won.  After some careful consideration, I might have to re-think getting season tickets next year.  It's enough to give me a complex when I realize that they lost every other game I went to this year.

 

No comments: