Saturday, September 18, 2004

Kamikaze Squirrels

I think there's another cult mass suicide plot underway.  This time it involves the squirrels.  For the past couple of weeks, I've seen more squirrel roadkill than I've seen in years.  I've also seen more squirrels dart out in the road in front of on-coming traffic, hence the suicide plot.  I've seen drivers swerve if there's no traffic in the other lane, or slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel.  I've also seen drivers not swerve nor stop.  I fall somewhere in the middle.  I'll avoid hitting one if possible, but not at the expense of getting rear-ended. 

At home, I've seen the squirrels acting crazy.  They run around in circles, and jump from limb to limb in the trees.  Maybe it's mating season.  That would explain a lot. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's an epidemic because I seriously had the same thought the other day as I drove 30 minutes home from work.  I saw an overwhelming larger number of dead squirrels on the road.  Poor Little buggers.  They just can't stay in their trees.  Strange that we think alike isn't it?

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't know if there's anything to this or not, but a lady at work's husband is an avid hunter and outdoorsman.  She brought the subject up today at work about the insane squirrels and the overwhelming number of squirrel roadkill.  Her husband says there is an unusually large amount of squirrels right now and an unusually small amount of "mass".  She said "mass" means nuts and other foods stored by squirrels.  Like I said, don't know how true this is...