Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Pet Peeve #1

There's nothing that gets on my nerves more than the sound of someone smacking or popping their chewing gum.  Unfortunately, there are co-workers that I deal with on a daily basis that are big gum chompers. It drives me absolutely crazy.  I don't even blink when I hear someone scratch their fingernails on a chalkboard - it just doesn't phase me at all.  But let me hear someone smacking their chewing gum and I come unglued. 

I'm not a gum chewer so I'm guessing that's part of the reason it bothers me so much.  It wasn't so bad in high school, because they wouldn't allow gum chewing in the classroom.  But college is a different story.  I endured classes where it seemed as if every student was smacking or cracking their gum.  Instead of smoking being banned in public buildings, I wish that gum chewing would be banned instead. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, I wish people wouldn't talk on their cellphones for long periods of time in loud voices at ballgames, eating places, places where I'm trying to enjoy myself..........
you know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

It makes it worse because they talk loud on a cell phone just to bring attention to themselves, like "look at me - I'm talking on a cell phone in this very nice restaurant".  It gets on my nerves, too.  Ten years ago, it was very cool; it's not so cool now that almost everyone has a cell phone.  

Anonymous said...

But of course everyone should hear my phone ring one time..........You Got It!  that's what it rings...........Roy Orbison song by the way......how could you guess?  If you listen to Target commericals, you know the tune!
LOL

Anonymous said...

Here's my pet peeve.  People printing all their personal crap on the company printer and then not having the decency to pick it up.  Like it was important enough for them to spend company time and resources for their own amusement, but not important enough for them to remember to go get it.  Just today someone printed tons of info about the LSAT on the printer.  But at least that person has aspirations to leave the company.  I'd rather see that than recipes, and meaningless news articles.

Anonymous said...

For me, the printer peeve at my company is when people print out directions from Mapquest and then leave them on the printer.  Makes you wonder if they ever got where they wanted to go.  I'm guessing not, since they evidently can't find their way to the printer to get the directions.  

Anonymous said...

I am a gum chewer but I try very hard to refrain from any type of "popping" as I recieved the only scary look from you that I ever got after I popped once.  It is a very annoying thing.  One girl I work with can make her gum pop mulitple times with each chew.  It just keeps on popping and popping....I don't know how she does it!!

Anonymous said...

What????  A scary look from ME?  Surely you must be mistaken.  LOL    I'll confess I gave said scary look this past Sunday to someone sitting next to me in Sunday School.  Yes, I realize that sounds terrible.  But she's not only a gum smacker, but a bubble blower.  You just don't go that in Sunday School nor during a church service.