Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Live To Ride, Ride To Live

I attended my first bike night.  It was bad.  I can't wait to go back next Tuesday.  I'd heard about bike nights, and have driven by bars and restaurants that hosted them, and seeing hundreds of cool bikes in the parking lots looked fascinating.  So last night, I got my courage up and went to one. 

A co-worker invited me to the bike night at Benchwarmer's, a local pizza place; his son was playing there.  I'd been to Benchwarmer's a few times when his son's band played there, so I was familiar with the place.  I didn't think I fit in with the bike crowd, though - getting out of a BMW wearing khaki shorts and a Zoeller golf shirt kinda set me apart from the biker crowd.  But when I walked through the sea of bikes and into the beer garden where the festivities were taking place, they welcomed me with open arms.  I can't begin to tell you how many bikers and biker chicks said hello to me and chatted with me.  Appearance-wise, they looked rough, but they were all friendly and polite.  There were no stereotypical knife fights nor trouble of any kind.  There were a few tense moments, though, when the waitress brought out the pizzas; they swarmed around the table like honeybees on a hive.

As soon as I got home, I got online and ordered a Harley t-shirt from EBay.  I'm going to make sure I look the part for my next bike night.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out........what tatoo I will see on your arm, ankle ?? at the Christmas party.........biker chick?
LOL

Anonymous said...

While at bike night, I heard that we will have karaoke at the Christmas party.  I can't wait.  

Anonymous said...

I want to go some night.  Already have the biker shirts and the tattoos.  I'm there.  Biker people are some of the nicest you'll meet.  Most of them make good money.  To drive a bike that cost anywhere from $15,000 to $40,000 you'd better!  My boss who is a Director and her husband who retired from Phillip Morris have been bikers since the 60's.  It's not what people sterotype.