Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Leftovers: Yea or Nay?

While a co-worker was patiently waiting the recommended 16 minutes for his Hungry Man meal to cook in the lunchroom microwave, we started a very enlightening conversation about leftovers.  Another co-worker (and childhood friend, incidentally) was heating up her leftover fried chicken and mac and cheese in the other microwave and told us that this weekend, after seven years of marriage, she just found out the reason her husband did not eat leftovers.  I quote his mother, aka Mother Hamilton, "He doesn't eat leftovers because I don't eat them.  When I was growing up, my mother used to warm up leftovers until they were tasteless, so I refuse to eat them now."  Riiiiight.  I didn't know that an aversion to leftovers was something passed on in a family's genes?

Oh how sad to go through life not knowing the joys that leftover turkey sandwiches can bring.  And it's a known fact that chili tastes better a day or two after you make it.  The same with soups.  Not to mention meatloaf or roast beef sandwiches. 

This story has an ironic twist to it, however - my friend said that Mother Hamilton will bring over her leftover chili,  knowing good and well her son won't eat it.  At least my friend has leftovers to bring to work for lunch. 

No comments: