Sunday, July 17, 2011

Link Of The Week

You know by now I'm not much of an activist.  But at the same time, I'm not much of a pacifist, either.  I guess I'm somewhere in the middle; it just depends on how strongly I believe in something.  One thing I firmly believe in is not getting ripped off, especially when it comes to buying tickets for concerts or sporting events. With all of the "brokers" in the game now, it's hard to get good seats for a concert.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy the majority of my tickets now through a "broker".  Sometimes I pay more than face value, sometimes it's the same, and sometimes it's been even less.  I don't mind paying it if I'm going to get an actual ticket either mailed or handed to me. Now sellers want to make things even harder.  Ticketmaster and other sellers want to go to a "restrictive paperless ticket" - you buy a ticket and it's tied into the credit card you used to purchase it.  Meaning, no more buying good seats from brokers.  While this could possibly help even the playing field when it comes to buying tickets, it could also make things worse.  You wouldn't be able to buy tickets for someone unless you would be there with your credit card and had a ticket, too.  Please check out http://www.fanfreedom.org/ and voice your opinion.  If you agree that ticket issuers should not use restrictive paperless tickets, you can sign a petition at the site.  If you agree or even disagree, there's links on the site for you to contact the fine folks up on Capitol Hill to voice your opinion.

1 comment:

Toots said...

Ticketmaster has been doing this for awhile. You don't even need a ticket much of the time. Just the credit card you used to purchase the ticket and you're in.

I did take a chance on this with a broker on some very, very expensive tickets I bought from a broker a couple of years ago. To make matters worse, I live here, the broker lived near Chattanooga, and the concert was in Nashville. Lo and behold, he was waiting for me outside the gate, they swiped his credit card, and we went right in. It's risky and I don't know how much I'll try it, but it worked that time.