Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mixed Up Thursday

I believe I set a new record after work today when I went on my bike ride. I broke my previous personal best for the 7 mile loop. It was not because it was cold or getting dark; it was simply because I had a lot on my mind and was pedaling away some frustrations and angst.

I received some very disturbing news from a dear friend, J, about her family-owned business last night, and it was all that I thought about today. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted and uncaring, but until today people affected by the recession were just nameless, faceless people. Sure, the times have been hard for the past year, but all of my friends still had jobs and were doing ok. Like I said - this is going to come across as me being a bitch, but even the people at work that were laid off didn't really bother me as much as hearing about J's family business. I didn't know any of the 40 people at work that got laid off. I was sorry for them, and prayed that they found work but it wasn't personal like the news I got from my friend J last night. She and her parents are devastated and don't know if they'll be able to bounce back.

I didn't have very many words of wisdom for J last night, and I don't really think she expected me to give her any; she merely wanted to let me know what was going on and get my support. I'm half sick over thinking about it all and am hoping and praying for the best for J, her family, and the people that work for them.

No comments: