Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chloe, You Made Me Proud

Little Girl Stands Up to Stranger with Meat Cleaver

For 5-year-old Chloe Edwards, a strung-out stranger with a meat cleaver just wasn't that scary.
Alerted by noises at 2AM, the little British girl walked into her kitchen, where she found 18-year-old Dean Affleck attempting a burglary.

"Put my daddy's keys down!" Chloe yelled, unfazed by the sight of a stranger in the middle of the night. The startled intruder pointed a meat cleaver at the girl and told her to go back to bed. At the same time, the trespassing teen accidentally smashed a glass, alerting Chloe's parents. Mark Edwards, Chloe's father, eventually punched Affleck to the ground, and police were called.

Affleck was later given a 3 1/2-year sentence for the August crime.

Chloe's mother, Rachel, who was scheduled to start chemotherapy the day of the crime, said, "It was an awful experience. As soon as I saw he had a knife, I was terrified."

Yet, Rachel, now in remission for breast cancer, said she was proud of her brave daughter.
"She kept saying afterwards, 'I told him, Daddy, I told him to put your keys down, didn't I?'"

What an awesome, brave little girl. I think even the biggest, bravest men that I know would have cried like a little baby if they saw an intruder in their house in the middle of the night pointing a meat cleaver at them. Chloe is going to grow up to be one hell of a woman. I can't imagine how proud her parents are of her.

No comments: