Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mid-Life Crisis, Phase 2

Last spring, I finally figured out what I was going to do for my much-anticipated mid-life crisis: I took up cycling. It's been awesome, and I have to say that it truly changed my mid-life. Well, it's been almost a year, and I've come to the realization that I'm now in Phase 2 of my mid-life crisis. In this phase, I believe I've reverted back to my early twenties. And I think it's pretty cool.

Phase 2 actually started a few months ago, when I started listening to top 40 radio again. I bought CDs by Nickelback and 3 Doors Down, and I'm even considering going to see both groups in concert later this month. I also got into what I call club music. I bought CDs by Lady GaGa and Rihanna and play them almost every day while I ride the recumbent bike and work out.

While I was listening to my new tunes, I started dressing a little bit hipper. Not that I dressed like a nerd or an old grandma (even though I know some old grandmas that are very hip and way cooler then me) - I just bought a few things that the young things happen to wear right now. When I had to buy some new smaller jeans, the only ones I could find had the wide flared legs. I hated them at first, but after people started complimenting on how cool they looked, well hell - I bought more. Then when the temperature got colder, I started wearing the layered look - long sleeve Under Armor or thermal shirts with a cool t-shirt over the top. Once again, the layered look got rave reviews. And just this weekend I bought a pair of what I call "urban" boots.

But Phase 2 doesn't end with new music and clothes. A couple of weeks ago I bought an iPod Touch. I have to say it's probably the coolest gadget that I have ever gotten. I used it so much last week while I was iced and snowed in that I thought I was going to wear it out. But wait - there's one more part of Phase 2: Facebook.

I have to give props to my dear friend and faithful reader Big Mama for being the first person to invite me become a "friend" on Facebook. This was months ago, but I never did aything with Facebook except reading Big Mama's posts on there. . . until this weekend. While still being iced in, I messed with Facebook and started finding a lot of people from high school and work on there, and since then it's just snowballed. Why, just today I received 6 invitations to be someone's "friend."

I've heard stories about people going all crazy in their mid-life crisis and buying a Corvette - I think my mid-life crisis, Phase One and Two, has been a whole lot cheaper. And way more fun.

No comments: