Friday, February 13, 2009

Flashback Friday

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and I don't even want to know how much $$ will be spent on this holiday - never mind that we're in the deep throes of a recession. But I digress. While I was at work today, I reminisced about Valentine's Days past, and one common thread that kept flowing through my memories was Valentine's boxes.

I'm sure you all remember what I'm talking about - a few days before Valentine's Day, elementary school kids would all bring a shoe box to school and would make a box for their classmates to put their Valentines in. It was a very big production. We would work all week on our Valentine boxes - using as much red and pink construction paper as the teacher would give us. They would all be pretty much the same - construction covered shoe boxes with a slit cut in the lid for the Valentines to be dropped in. But still they were unique. We all put our own distinct decorations on them. I was a paper lace doily gal myself, and would glue as many as I could on my box.

Just this afternoon at work, I was asking my co-worker RGS about his kids and the Valentine logistics in their classes, and I was very sad to find out that the school kids no longer make Valentine boxes. The kids still hand out Valentines, but they don't make Valentines boxes like we did. What a shame. The kids are truly missing out. To me, that was the highlight of Valentine's Day. I could not have cared less about how many Valentine's cards I got, nor who they were from - all I cared about was having the perfect Valentine's Day box. I wish things were that simple right now.

No comments: