Wednesday, December 19, 2007

File Under: WTF?

It's rare that I have two WTF experiences in two consecutive days, but this morning as I was watching the news while getting ready for work, I heard something on the news that definitely made me say WTF.  The breaking news headline was Britney Spears' little sister is pregnant.  That's enough to make Britney herself say WTF.  I'm sure their mother Lynne Spears probably said it when she found out a few weeks ago. 

Yes, it's true.  Jamie Lynn Spears, just 16 years old, announced today that she's three months pregnant. She said she was in "total shock" when she found out.  I'm thinking that her mother might need to have The Talk with her, because it sure seems like she doesn't know very much about all of this.  She said she intends to move back to her home in Louisiana and raise her baby there so it can have a "normal family life."  Maybe it's just me, but "normal" is not a word I would use to describe the Spears family life.

This raises a couple of questions.  First of all, what type of message is this for the millions of young kids that watch Jamie Lynn's hit Nickelodian show "Zoey 101"?  I realize that a 16 year old girl getting pregnant is not earth shattering news, but call me old fashioned for believing something is wrong with it.   She's a kid having a kid.  Maybe I'm too hardcore, but I hope Nickelodian pulls the show from the air and cancels her contract.

And what about her age?  She's 16 years old.  What about statutory rape?  The father of Jamie Lynn's baby is 19; I repeat, she's 16 years old.  Even if it was consentual, there are still laws against that sort of thing. 

I read a little about this online tonight, and one article said that big sister [and apparent role model] Britney was furious when she heard the news.  I think she's just hacked off because she heard the news today - the same day that we heard about it. 

No comments: