Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Few Tons Of Prevention?

The cold front moved through the Ohio Valley Sunday night and brought with it another blast of cold air.  It's not quite Arctic air, but cold enough to make me get my gloves out yesterday morning.  This morning as I was getting ready for work, the weatherazzi was talking about a snow advisory for tonight and tomorrow for nothern Kentucky and the Cincinnati area.  Apparently, the people that work for the Department of Highways didn't hear that news, because the trucks were out all day long here in the 'Ville spraying the roads with brine solution.  I shook my head as I was driving home and saw the white lines of the brine on the roads.  We don't even have snow in the forecast for Louisville, but we have the brine solution sprayed on the roads in case it snows.  On the evening news tonight, the weatherazzi wasn't even calling for a dusting - just a few flurries - but yet they had to get the roads ready just in case. 

We could be surprised tomorrow morning - we got the biggest snowfall in the history of the 'Ville during a night when the weatherazzi said we wouldn't even get a dusting.  Oh January 17, 1994, what the weatherazzi called a thundersnow moved through Louisville and dropped about two feet of snow.  There was truly thunder during the night while it was snowing.  Nobody was prepared for this, especially my family.  We woke to find the two feet of snow and no electricity.  We bundled up and trudged outside and brought in some firewood stored out in the shed so we could at least have a fire in the fireplace.  Fortunately the power came on before noon.  But the city was shut down for about a week.  This time, we're prepared.  We have our generator and snow blower, and on my way to the Post tonight I'll be stopping to fill up two 5-gallon tanks of gas just in case.  I'll keep you posted.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember it vividly.  At first they were calling for a large amount of snow, but by afternoon they said they thought we wouldn't get anything.  I do believe one meterologist stuck to his guns and said it was still possible.  The 'rents, T and I went to Mr. Lou's for dinner and everyone there was talking about would it snow or wouldn't it.  Something told me we were in for it so I headed to the grocery and stocked up.  At about 5:00 a.m. T's best friend called and told us to look outside.  Unbelievable!  My place of employment was actually shut down for three days.  Never before had we closed for weather, even one day!

We never lost power or water and we had plenty of food.  We didn't have to go to work and we got paid for it! T and I had a great few days being snowed in.  I know a lot of people had it rough that week, but for us, it was wonderful and I'll never forget it.