Thursday, August 30, 2007

What Time Is It?

Last week at work, we started company-wide training on our new computer system called Syteline that we'll be using starting January 1.  We had three sessions so far, and today it was my turn to go.  The class was held in the newly renovated training room in the old part of the factory.  It's a pretty good hike over there, and some of my co-workers drove their cars there.  Like I said it's a far piece there, but not worth the effort of driving your car there.  But I digress.  The President of the company/head of my department sat next to me and we made a pact this morning to do our best to keep each other awake during the class.  Between the soft drinks and water we drank, we did manage not to fall asleep.  After about an hour of looking at the monitor that was the size of my TV at home, I realized something was different on the screen.  Our new system is all Windows based, so the top tool bars and bottom task bars looked the same, except for one small thing: there was no clock on the bottm task bar.  I nudged the President and whispered for him to look at his screen and sure enough, he had no clock either.  Whaddya know?  I always knew that programmers were very smart people, but intentionally not having a clock on the task bar on computers that are used solely for training is pure genius.  Nobody could tell how long they'd been in what we call Syteline hell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, its pretty bad when the programmers know its that boring they need to take away reminders.  What I want to know are two things:
1.  Was anyone brave enough to snore?
2.  Were there any mullet sightings?

Anonymous said...

No, we didn't hear any snoring. But I did fidget around and managed to almost knock my keybord off of my desk, and knocked my safety glasses off of my table three times.  And unfortunatley, there were no mullet sightings in the training room.  Maybe next time.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's not bad ~ look we've been on syteline, some time now, there were days, but it's really not bad at all, once you learn and start using.