Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I'll Never Complain About Walking Again

Earlier this evening, I called my Aunt Helen in California to get a recipe from her.  Her husband, my Uncle Roy, died about two years ago, but after the initial grieving process and adjustment, she's doing great.  She had some health issues this past year, and after her doctor took her off of some meds, she's doing much, much better.  She went from not being able to walk across the room without having to stop three times to walking two miles a day.  Now, I give anyone major props for walking two miles a day; even more props if they're in their 70's or 80's.  My Mom walks two miles a day, and I'm proud of her for not missing a day during the massive heat wave we've been under.  During the phone conversation, my Aunt went on to say that she walks every morning with a friend in her subdivision.  Then she said her friend is 99 years old.  Needless to say, I was speechless.

The man said that even though his wife is "younger" (she's only 92) she didn't care about walking; she chooses to exercise in the clubhouse pool every day.  Once again, color me speechless.  So he walks with my Aunt.  That's just awesome.  I don't think there's much I can say about that other than it puts me to shame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, all I can say.  Ok one thing more, LOL.  I'm going to share this diddy with my Grandmother.  She is 96 and thinks she is the oldest person on earth.  God Bless them!  I think its great!  Makes me feel ashamed for not getting my carcas up in the mornings and walking now, LOL.  Guess what I will do tomorrow, you got it! Walk!

Anonymous said...

wow ~ I jazzercise couple days a week, and I huff and puff.....maybe I should walk too.

Anonymous said...

Mom took her pedometer with us to the fair yesterday, and the three of us walked almost 4 miles.  As soon as I finish typing this comment, I'm going down to the floodwall and will attempt to do 2 miles.  I'm not saying I'll make it, LOL, but I'm going to try.  Good luck to you, Big Mama and AB45.  Let's all get to stepping.