Thursday, February 17, 2005

Puddin vs. Rumpke, Part 2

Flash back to late summer 2004: 
The battle between me and Rumpke Waste Removal was raging.  For those that don't remember, let me give a quick recap.  Every Thursday morning between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m., Rumpke Waste Removal comes to the little store two houses down from us here at The Compound and empties the store's dumpster.  Dumpster Man is not very quiet when he empties the dumpster; we are all awaken by the sounds similar to the Shock and Awe phase of the Iraqi war.  I fully understand that there's really no quiet way to e empty one of those big metal dumpsters, but does he really have to do it at 3 in the morning when everybody is trying to sleep?

Flash forward to today: 
At 2:30 this morning, our house, and all of the inhabitants in the houses on each side of us, was roused from our sleep when Dumpster man banged the dumpster into the truck six times.  Yes, six times.  Once is sufficient to wake us all up, but there must have been a banana peel or something stuck in the bottom of the dumpster to make him bang it six times.  I was on the verge of running down the street in my pajamas and yelling at Dumpster Man "If it takes you six tries to empty the dumpster into your truck, maybe you should look for another job or at least go back for more training." 

As soon as I got to work, I started calling Rumpke.  According to my meticulously kept phone records, today is the 12th time I've called them in about a year's time.  Of course, the route manager that I need to speak with is never in.  Once again, as it was with the other 11 times I've called, I got his voice mail and left a message.  But today, it was a different message. Today, there was attitude to my tone of voice.  Before I started my well rehearsed message, I said to myself  "How would Erica Kane handle this?"  Not having millions of dollars to buy the company, I would just have to use the Erica tone-of-voice.  It must have worked because today the route manager actually called me back.  He listened to my speech and then he said he would personally speak to that driver and make sure he comes no earlier than 7:00 on Thursday mornings.  He even gave me the number of his direct line, and asked me to call him next Thursday morning to report how thing were.  I'll keep you posted. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend JB was too shy to comment in here, so I'm cutting and pasting a very sincere note from an email she sent me:

You go girl, take a stand don`t let them keep you from getting your beauty sleep. When you get our age we need all the rest we can get.

Nuff said, JB.