Thursday, February 24, 2005

File Under: WTF? Part II

Some friends invited me to dinner last night at a very popular local fish joint, Mike Linnig's. It's located just a couple of miles from my home, right on the banks of the Ohio River.  It's been around for over 70 years.  People drive from all over the county, and even from surrounding counties, just to get their fish.  The atmosphere is very cool, too.  In warmer weather, you can eat outside on the picnic tables, enjoying a cold beverage while you wait for your fish.  They even have a humongous tent set up at the Kentucky State Fair each year, selling their fish. I can't say this enough: Mike's is truly famous for it's fish. 

We were at our table and had just placed our order (we all ordered fish, even the three and a half year old with us) when I saw a couple walk in and sit down at the table across from us.  We were chatting at our table, when I saw the waiter come over to take the couple's order.  The husband ordered a cheeseburger and the wife ordered a steak sandwich.  I almost fell out of my chair.  This was Golden Corral revisited.  Going to a renowned fish place and getting beef made as much sense as the people going to Golden Corral and getting grilled cheese sandwiches.  This couple even called the waiter back a few minutes later, reminding him that they ordered both the cheeseburger and the steak sandwich well done.  I guess they're e-coli conscious. 

I was ranting and raving about this to a friend last night over the phone, and she reasoned "Well, maybe they don't like fish."  Well, maybe they don't.  But there's dozens of places within a 5 mile radius of Mike Linnig's where they could have gone that specialize in steaks and burgers.  It just doesn't make sense. 
 

No comments: