Monday, September 2, 2013

Something You Don't See Every Day

Today was the last Bats game of the season, and even though there was a 30% chance of rain today, I was not going to let that get in the way of the last game of the season.  Well, the 30% chance of rain hit half-way through the fourth inning, and we had over a two-hour rain delay.  But as I said, I was not going to let any rain get in the way of the last game of the season. 

The rain cleared up and the grounds crew got the field as dry as they could get and play resumed, only to have us down 5-2 at the bottom of the 9th inning.  Bases were loaded and Bats right fielder Dennis Phipps came to bat with 2 outs.  He hit a grand slam home run, and I thought the few remaining fans were going to tear down Slugger Field.  We ended up 69-75 for the season, but at least we won the last game of the season thanks to this young man's grand slam home run.  I sure am glad I stayed.  In my 20+ years of being a faithful fan of our Louisville Triple A teams, this is the first time I have witnessed a grand slam.  Yep, it's definitely something you don't see every day.

No comments: