Friday, September 27, 2013

Flashback Friday

This was a big fundraising week at work, with coworkers bringing in their kids' catalogs and brochures.  Even though I don't have kids, I still have a reciprocal urge and always buy something in repayment for all of my parents coworkers that bought countless bottles of spices or miracle cleaner that I was selling. 

Just as my coworkers kids are lucky, so was I; my parents had a lot of coworkers to hit up when they brought the sale papers to work.  It was reciprocal; everybody at my parents' factory bought stuff from their coworkers' kids because that was the thing do.  You pawned your kids' fundraisers off on your coworkers so it was only fair that you bought when your coworkers pawned their kids' stuff on you.

One fundraising effort stands out in my mind.  It was fourth grade, and we sold large plastic bottles of spices and seasonings.  I remember this because each case of 10 bottles was a cool heavy cardboard briefcase-like box.  That was the selling point for me - getting to carry the briefcase-like box around to my neighbors and to friends at church.  How disappointing it must have been for my parents who sold the spices and seasonings at work with nothing but a brochure to show their coworkers. 

For the life of me I can't remember what it was, but I do remember that I won the Grand Prize for selling the most bottles of spices and seasonings that year in fourth grade. 

No comments: