Monday, April 25, 2011

Flood 2011 Update



For the past few days, I've been hesitant to title a post "Flood 2011" but today, I think it's time.  Today is the fifth consecutive day of heavy rains and storms we've had (not to mention the mega storm we had late Tuesday night). 

I drove down a quarter of a mile to the boat ramp this morning before heading to work, and the Ohio River waters were about three feet from going into the main parking lot.  Once the parking lot fills, then it's up the flood wall.  And I'm not ashamed to say that is making me very nervous, especially when the Weatherazzi has us all whipped into a frenzy with things like "Life threatening flooding situation".   The last time I remember the flood waters being close was in 1994, when the Ohio River was half-way up the flood wall.  This morning when I stopped, the water had just reached the iron gate blocking the ramp.  In the picture above, you can see how much farther the water had risen by this evening. 

We just keep on praying that the Lord will keep us safe and dry here at The Compound.  That's about all we can do.

No comments: