Monday, April 4, 2011

Farewell, Ronald McDonald

I read an article today that kinda bothered me. It seems that McDonald's is putting Ronald McDonald out to pasture. You've probably already noticed that they don't show Ronald in any of their commercials anymore. That's because McD's has been facing increased competition from more upscale chains like Starbucks, causing them to be more focused on selling their high profit coffee drinks and salads rather than Big Macs and Happy Meals. The marketing experts say that consumers link Ronald McDonald to the old, high-fat foods that are becoming increasingly unpopular with many American consumers. I guess it's working; McD's McCafe coffee products hvae helped revive sales, increasing revenues in six of the last seven quarters. But all at the expense of Ronald McDonald. Never fear, faithful readers, because McD's isn't getting rid of Ronald McDonald all together; after all, his name is still on the company's charity, Ronald McDonald House Charities. So we'll still see Ronald in conjunction with their charity, just not on the menu or commercials. Way back in the day when there wasn't a McDonald's on every corner, it was a major big deal when they would open up a new McDonald's. I would always beg Mom or Dad to take me to a grand opening just because Ronald McDonald would be there. Somewhere down in the basement in the Archives, there is a picture of me and Ronald McDonald. If I can find it, I'll gladly post it.

1 comment:

Toots said...

This won't come as any surprise to you. I was TERRIFIED of Ronald McDonald.