Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Come Nobody Told Me?

Usually every afternoon between 4:00 and 4:25, I call home to see if the 'Rents need anything on my way home from work. During today's call, Mom asked me to stop by the post office and buy some one cent stamps. Thinking she needed to mail an oversized envelope, I asked her how come she needed one cent stamps. She simply told me that they raised the price of stamps a couple of weeks ago and she needed one cent stamps to round out the roll of old stamps. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea that the U.S.P.S. raised the price of a stamp to 44 cents. No idea at all.

I almost ashamed - given the fact that I keep up on current events, entertainment and sports news. But the stamp increase just slipped past me. Maybe I was paying more attention to the swine flu outbreak or to "Dancing With The Stars". Who knows? All I know is I felt pretty silly not knowing that they raised the price of stamps. I promise I am going to do better.

3 comments:

Aunt Barb said...

Pudding where have you been, they need more money to help them be late with the mail :) ~ I think if they laid off some of the people who just stand around and do nothing, maybe they would break even :)

Puddin said...

I had no idea, Big Mama. I should have known, though. Especially since we're in the midst of a recession - it only makes sense that the USPS would raise their rates. All I can say is WTF?

Toots said...

It's best to buy the "forever" stamps with the Liberty Bell on them. That way you don't have to buy the one or two cent ones when it goes up. And for what it's worth, I still think 44 cents is a good deal for me to put something in an envelope and have it arrive anywhere I want it to within a few days.