Friday, May 1, 2009

Flashback Friday

I'm back at home after spending an hour in traffic getting to and from Krispy Kreme to get a dozen glazed donuts for the 'Rents. Let me first say that they and Diva Stacy are probably the only three people I would have waited in traffic for an hour to get donuts for. That having been said, if you live in the 'Ville, then you are well aware it's Derby Eve. There are parties galore tonight. Even Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian will be here in town tonight at parties. And for the record let me say that I could not give a rat's ass. But I digress. Back in the day, there wasn't much hoopla at all on Derby Eve.

Back in the day, the hard core partyers and drinkers were out on Central Avenue until some of the gangsta gang bangers shot up the place and then they shut it down. In case you don't know or don't remember, Central Avenue ran in front of Churchill Downs, and from about 7:00 on Derby Eve until time for the track to open on Saturday morning, the street would be jam packed full of people partying. Wild partying. Partying that would make "Girls Gone Wild" seem mild by comparison. But like I said, the gangastas moved in and one year somebody got shot so that was the end of the Central Avenue partying.

For the record, no, I did not participate in that. Until tonight, I've stayed as far away from Churchill Downs as I could on Derby weekend. But for some reason, Krispy Kreme donuts sounded pretty good tonight. And I'm glad I went.

1 comment:

Toots said...

I went to Central one year. It was the year of the big hail storm and tornado warnings. It was okay for awhile but a little too much as it got later and people got more drunk.