Monday, March 30, 2009

The Second Year Of Trying New Things


Faithful readers, I can add yet another item to my growing list of New Things I Have Tried. This time, it's the Reuben sandwich. Diva Stacy has been raving about them for a couple of years now, and just yesterday I finally had one. In fact, it was the main course at the annual Divas' Spring Brunch.
I'd been hesitant to try it because as you know, I don't like a lot of my foods mixed together. Sure, I know they all end up in the same place, but I prefer to eat them separately. In the old days, I would have eaten the corned beef sandwich 0n rye bread by itself and would have had a mound of saurkraut on the side, but never on top of the sandwich. But after hearing Diva Stacy rave about her Reubens, I knew I had to try it. And let me tell you it rocked.
The thing that had me hesitant to try the Reuban was the saurkraut. Now, let me be the first to tell you I love my kraut, but I had conjured up on my head the idea that there would be a cup full of kraut on the corned beef and Swiss cheese sandwich and that's what scared me off. She put a couple of tablespoons full of kraut on the sandwich before grilling it, and it was the perfect amount. The same with the Thousand Island dressing - she drizzled just enough to jazz it up. And the Reuben was awesome. I had no trouble at all riding an extra couple of miles last night to work it off - yep, it was that good. And the Reuben sandwich definitely gets Puddin's Seal Of Approval.

No comments: