Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback Friday

It's hard to believe we're already deep in the throes of March Madness. Here at The Compound, we're sorta anti March Madness. Yesterday instead of watching the first round games, the 'Rents watched their beloved Cincinnati Reds in preseason baseball, and tonight instead of watching the games, we've wathced old black and white westerns on the Encore channel. It's not that we don't like college basketball; well, in all honesty we don't. My family has just never gotten into it. We've never chosen sides between UK and U of L, but on a rare occasion when they're playing basketball and there's nothing else on TV, we'll watch the game and root for them. And for a few years I went through a North Carolina Tar Heels phase, but that was just because that was the alma mater of a guy I was dating at the time. But I digress.

As a kid or even teenager, I just don't remember the NCAA tournament being as big of a deal as it is now. And I watched a lot of TV in my younger days, so I would have been the first to know if my favorite shows were getting preempted by the games. But I just don't think there was much March Madness back in the day. My parents never talked about filling out the brackets at work in hopes of winning some cash. In fact, I don't remember seeing the big bracket in the local newspaper as a kid, either. They sure are making up for lost time now days.

No comments: