Saturday, June 9, 2007

Will Work? I Don't Think So

I've been on the road since about 9:30 this morning running all sorts of errands and taking care of business.  I passed through a major intersection where teenagers from a local Christian school were asking for donations for a mission trip to Mexico.  At another intersection, some Shriners were asking for donations.  At one more major intersection, I saw a guy wearing camo pants, a sleeveless t-shirt and a ball cap holding a cardboard sign saying "Will Work For Food."  I wish I'd had my camera with me, because if I'd held up a camera to take a picture of this guy and his sign, in the picture you would have clearly been able to see a fast food store marquee sign saying "Now Hiring."

Yep, in the background was a Dairy Queen with "Now Hiring" on their big sign.  The guy could have walked about 100 yards to the DQ and gotten a job.  If he really wanted one.  But yet he chose to stand out in a busy intersection and hold a handmade sign in hopes that people would stop and give him money.  I could be entirely wrong, but I really don't think the guy was holding that sign with the hope that someone would see it and offer him a job. 

The guys arms and face were tanned, so I'm guessing he'd been out in the sun doing this for a while.  And his clothes didn't look all that bad nor were they tattered.  He had a nice backpack leaning up against a road sign; he didn't have his belongings tied up in a bandana at the end of a stick like the hobos carry on the cartoons.  He wasn't skinny from not eating; in fact, he looked pretty buffed to me.  But for some reason, I guess he just didn't want to work at Dairy Queen.

No comments: