Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Farewell, Liz Claiborne

                                     Liz Claiborne

I'm sad to report that Liz Claiborne has died.  The fashion designer was 78 years old,and had battled cancer for several years.  She founded Liz Claiborne Inc. in 1976 with her husband Art Ortenberg.  Their goal was to create a collection of fashions aimed at the growing number of women entering the work force.  The new approach to dressing revolutionized the department store industry, which had only focused on stocking pants in one department and skirts in another.  Her Liz Claiborne collection could be found in its own department in stores - a trend that department stores followed with other designers. 

Her clothes became an instant hit, and the company went public in 1981. By 1985, Liz Claiborne Inc. was the first company founded by a woman to be listed in the Fortune 500. The company, whose brands now include Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman and Juicy Couture, generated sales of almost $5 billion last year.   Liz Claiborne retired from the day-to-day operations in 1989.

Back in the day, I believe I was Liz Claiborne's best customer.  There was a period in my life when I wouldn't wear a blouse or sweater unless it had the Liz Claiborne tag sewn in it.  I even had a couple of Liz Claiborne purses, too.  She was the first of the designers to use shoulder pads, and the ones in her blouses and shirts were attached by Velcro.  Many a time I would forget to pull the pads off before I washed the shirts, only to have the pads end up being squished and out of shape. 

It's been a long time since I've worn or bought any Liz Claiborne, but I still have hung on to my most prized piece of Liz Claiborne clothing - a gray and white cotton sweater.  Maybe I'll wear it when it gets cooler.

You'll be missed, Liz Claiborne, but your legacy will live on.

No comments: