Friday, June 29, 2007

Flashback Friday

                    

I've yet to meet a person who didn't like popsicles -  especially in the summertime.  My personal favorite is the red, white and blue astro pops that we could only get from the ice cream man back in the day.  I was fortunate as a kid - for those times when the ice cream man wasn't around, the neighborhood store was half a block away with a fully stocked freezer full of popsicles.  Store bought popsicles were good, but as with most other foods, homemade ones tasted better.  That's where the Tupperware popsicle molds came in.

As far back as I can remember, we only had 5 out of the set of 6 molds.  I don't know what happened to the sixth one - my guess is that I probably took it outside and lost it.  But I was an only child, so one less popsicle mold wasn't an issue.  Grandma or Mom would pour Kool-Aid or juice into the molds for me, and then stick them in the freezer.  Of course, I could never wait till they were frozen solid; I would usually eat (or should I say drink) my pop before it had a chance to freeze. 

I asked Mom tonight if we still had our Tupperware popsicle molds.  She said she wasn't sure, but added that if I had anything to do with it, they were probably in the house somewhere given the fact that I have a problem throwing things away.  I'll have to see if I can find them and start making popsicles here at home. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These days you can also freeze juice and it is very refreshing!  They used to promote that for dieters in lieu of ice cream, etc.  I remember also just using a normal ice tray and placing plastic with toothpicks in them.  Those were "mini" ice treats, LOL.