Friday, June 22, 2007

Flashback Friday

                                                       In keeping with the theme of dangerous toys from back in the day, this week's Flashback Friday is all about Clackers. 

Clackers had a bizillion names, some of which I refuse to repeat in TWIT.  They were also called Bonkers, Clack Clacks, Knockers, Klick Klacks, Quick Clacks, Whackers, etc.  It was essentially two large marbles attached by a sturdy string with a ring in the center. You would put your finger in the ring allowing the marbles or balls to hang below.  This is where the fun begins. The idea was to get the two balls tapping (or clacking, if you will) against each other by pulling up on the ring lightly. Once you got the hang of it, you could get them going faster and faster until they were smacking each other above and below your hand instead of smacking your hand.

These toys are now legendary. They were popular in the early 70s, when they started finding their way into the schoolyards, and were quickly yanked from the store shelves because kids were suffering eye injuries when the fragile, glass-like balls were shattering from the constant clacking.  They were banned in Greenwood Elementary School, and on my school bus.  I believe a plastic version may have been released after the original and the more menacing version was pulled, but I don't think that it enjoyed the same popularity.

I had a purple set of Clackers made of very hard glass, and I think I played with them for about one day until I cracked the crap out of my knuckles and then threw them in the toybox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had clear Clackers that were replaced with blue and white plastic ones after it became clear "you'll shoot your eye out" with the glass ones.