Saturday, June 23, 2007

It's Good To Be Home

It's been a rough few months for me.  I've been so busy, and as I mentioned earlier this week, it was at the point where I felt like I was being pulled in 47 different directions.  I decided that it was time for me to learn to say "no", so I cleared my calendar for last night and today.  I had a very relaxing Friday night - I crashed and took an hour and a half nap after supper, and had no problem going to sleep at my regular time last night.  I slept great and felt refreshed this morning.  The 'rents had already planned to take our dear old friend Lenora up to beautiful Starlight, Indiana for lunch, and I told them I wanted to tag along. 

We headed downtown and picked her up, and made a detour onto I-65 because part of I-64 was closed for reconstruction.  The route we took was scenic, and very hilly, and I said a quick prayer of thanks that I didn't have to travel that road during snow or ice. We made it to Huber's Family Restaurant, had a great lunch, and walked around a bit before heading back home.  I had our route home planned out, but just as we got on a road that would take us to a part of I-64 that was still open, all we could see for miles ahead of us were tail lights.  Not a good sign.  The very busy 4 lane road was closed down for the funeral of the police officer that was killed earlier this week.  If it had been a week day, I would have simply called Diva Stacy down at AAA and asked for directions on how to get back home, but being a Saturday, we were on our own.  Thanks to Dad's keen memory, we were able to make it to where we needed to be to continue on our alternate route back across the bridge.  We got back on I-65, only to once again see nothing but tail lights ahead of us.  At this point, I wished we had Speed Racer's Mach V car, that would have turned into a helicopter so we could have flew over the traffic back to the Kentucky side of the river.  After what seemed like an eternity (but in fact was only about 35 minutes) we were able to finally make it across the bridge back into Louisville.  If there hadn't been traffic in front of and behind me, I would have stopped the car and gotten out and kissed the ground.

What was supposed to have been a relaxing, stress-free time could have taken an ugly turn given the fact that Dad and I have zero patience, especiallywhen it comes to traffic, but we made it through fairly well.  Thanks to Lenora being there with us, we kept our cool and didn't drop the F-bomb on the cars cutting in front of us.  In fact, I think we only let one little word slip out, and I don't think Lenora heard it. 

No comments: