Saturday, June 16, 2007

What Will They Advertise Next?

Unlike last Saturday when I ran errands and was gone all day long, I decided that today would be different.  So far, the only errand I've ran was up to the local Subway to get sandwiches for lunch.  It's been very relaxing just sitting on the couch or laying across the bed watching TV in air conditioned comfort.  Yes, I've been a slug today.  And I'm proud of it. 

As with most Saturdays, you can usually catch an infomercial in the afternoons.  In fact, you can usually find 4 or 5.  As I was laying on the bed reading, I watched one of my favorite infomercials for the Magic Bullet blender/chopper/mixer machine.  As that show ended, I waited in anticipation of what wonderful must-have product would be advertised next in the next thirty minute TV slot.  I'd flipped the channels during the commercials, and when I got back to the infomercial channel, I was confused.  Instead of seeing Ron Popeil or someone else hawking a product, I saw a scene that looked like it was from a primetime crime show.  It was a women in her pajamas standing in the middle of her darkened bedroom at night, holding what appears to be a giant Maglite flashlight as she is shining the bright beam on two armed intruders.  While the beam of light is shining on them, you also see a red laser beam aimed at one of the intruders' heads.  The guy thinks the woman has a gun with a night laser on it and says "Oh, she won't shoot" and then he pulls out a big hunting knife.  The next thing you see is the woman pressing a button on the giant flashlight and suddenly a strong stream of pepper sprays shoots across the room and hits the intruder square in the face.  He drops to the floor in apparent pain while his partner in crime runs from the house, only to be pepper sprayed by the police who are also using this flashlight contraption. 

After watching the opening of the infomercial, I was hooked.  I had to watch the rest of the show.  It was filled with testimonials from current and former law enforcement officers, not to mention a few military personnel.  They also had several senior citizens and women, all of whom said they felt much much safer now that they had the Cobra Stunlight.  They even called the Stunlight one of my favorite phrases - a personal protection device. 

During the infomercial, they never told the price of it, which led me to believe it was pretty $$$.  As soon as the infomercial went off moments ago, I came here to the computer and found the website and was surprised to see the Cobra Stunlight personal protection device was $249, plus shipping and handling.  Yes, a little high, but you're paying for a device that will shoot pepper spray with "balistic" force.  I guess you get what you pay for.  As for me and my house, we'll stick with Smith & Wesson protection.

No comments: