Wednesday, June 21, 2006

That's Chairman Puddin, Thank You

We had our first planning and organizing meeting for the annual VFW picnic last night.  It's not until August 5, but nothing had been done except get the raffle tickets printed and mailed out to the members.  They told me that they usually start planning the next picnic a month after the previous picnic.  Needless to say, it's past the middle of June and nothing had been planned.  I had a feeling that this was going to be the family's big initiation into the wonderful world of charitable fundraising.  I already had my feet wet dealing with the Thursday night bingo, so I'm not charitable fundraising virgin like the 'rents. 

The meeting started with the VFW Quartermaster (our neighbor Painter Steve) going down his list and reading off the various booths and events and then writing down whoever volunteered (or was volunteered) to be the chairman.  If noone volunteered then he appointed someone.  Before we went to the meeting, Dad gave strict instructions to Mom and me to not volunteer for anything tonight; he said we would see what booths they had and then decide later on where we wanted to work.  I don't even need to tell you that about ten minutes after the meeting started, he had already volunteered Mom and hisself to work in the cake wheel booth, and to help Steve's wife Bev with her doll booth.  I just sat there and shook my head; I couldn't believe he caved so soon. So much for his "we're not going to sign up for anything tonight" speech.

The meeting went on and on, and as they were discussing the various booths, I started brainstorming and tried to come up with a fun booth to run. I already knew what prizes I wanted to have - cool hats or anything inflatible. Those things are the hit of the Catholic church picnics this summer. But I still wanted to come up with a cool but unique booth. Then it hit me: corn hole. I whispered my idea to Dad and then started talking about it with a couple of my Ladies Auxiliary members sitting by us and before I knew it, we had a hit on our hands.  I proudly put my hand in the air, waiting to be recognized by the Quartermaster and then when I was called upon, I spoke up about my idea for a corn hole game booth.  They loved it.  They loved my idea so much, that they made me the chairman of the booth, and said I could set the price, the rules, and even pick out the prizes.  Now all I have to find out is how to pay for the prizes.  I'm going to try and get inflatible hammers, guitars, swords and other cool things that the kids (and maybe adults) would like to win.  And I'm going to get cool hats for prizes, too.  I'm thinking pimp hats with zebra print will go over big.  The kids (and adults) love them. 

It didn't take us long to get the logistics worked out.  We'll use either my folding canopy or get one from the post, and we'll put some lights in it so people can see to throw the corn-filled bags after dark.  We'll simply put the boards on the ground at the front of the booth/canopy and then mark off a spot for adults to stand and another spot closer for the kids to stand.  I'm thinking we'll give them four chances for fifty cents, and they have to get in two to win.  It sounds fair to me.  I know I'd pay good money to win an inflatible guitar or a pimp hat. 

No comments: