Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Damn These Storms

It was another long, sleepless night at The Compound, and probably all over the city. That translates to a lot of cranky people at work today.  As soon as we settled down after supper to watch TV and relax, the weatherazzi was on the air, giving us up-to-the-minute information on a big storm headed our way.  Actually, we went through the same thing Sunday afternoon.  Anyhoo, the weatherazzi gave us continuous coverage until the storm had moved through the Louisville area, and then we went back to our regularly scheduled programming.  The lightning had quit, so people were able to take baths safely without fear of lightning hitting the house and frying us in the tub. Then we all settled down for a long summer's nap.  The nap is just about all we got, considering we were roused from our sleep at about 1:45 to the loudest thunder and lightning I think I've ever heard.  It went on and on.  The lightning was so bright that no matter how tight I closed my eyes it still seemed like I could see it.  Now that's bright. 

These severe storms are popping up all the time it seems.  Back in the day, we almost never got a bad storm in the late spring/early summer.  Now they're a weekly thing.  Maybe Al Gore explains it in his documentary that's out in the theaters now; I don't know.  I do know that I'm fed up with the storms knocking out the cable, making the lights flicker off long enough for us to have to reset all of the digital clocks, and keeping us awake at night. I should be thankful because we haven't had any storm damage other than losing the tarp-covered carport a couple of months ago, and I am.  I'm also thankful that we haven't lost power for more than 3 minutes.   I know there's nothing that you or I can do about this, but it just feels good to vent.  I feel a little bit better now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to see the movie, but it wasn't on.  I looked it up on the internet, we went out to eat and then drove over to the show, not on.........I later looked at the internet again, in fine print, at the very bottom of the site, local listings might change.

Last week I had looked on line for the time of the Breakup....it was on, don't know what happened here......ha, ha the Republicans there in Newburgh must have complained!

Anonymous said...

It feels good to vent, doesn't it, Big Mama?  And thanks for the Roy CD.  You rock. I was weepy the first time I played "Crying."  

Anonymous said...

You are welcome.......I love to spread the ROY.......