Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Should I Sign Up For AARP Now?

I don't consider myself old.  I'm 43, and to be honest, I don't even consider myself to be middle age. But apparently Krogers considers me to be old; a senior citizen, in fact. 

I stopped there on the way to work this morning to pick up a pack of bottled water and a couple of other things, and my bill totaled $9.99.  I swiped my debit card through the POS terminal, and on the screen it said "Is $8.99 correct?" I hadn't added up my 3 items, so I didn't know what the exact total should be, but I knew it should be in the $8-$10 range.  I was in a hurry as I usually am when I'm shopping at the grocery store at 7:45 in the morning on my way to work, so I quickly punched "Yes" and got my receipt and bags and left.  On the way to the car I looked at my receipt.  It showed the $2 I saved by using my Kroger card, and then it showed another discount: $1 off for the senior citizen discount.  Sure, I knew the first Wednesday of the month is when Krogers gives senior citizens a 10% discount.  But I'm not a senior citizen. 

I thought maybe I picked up the wrong Kroger card at home some time in the past, but I checked when I got home tonight and the Kroger card I used today is the one I was issued when they first came out with the Kroger cards a few years ago.  I'm fairly sure I put the correct birth year on the form when I filled it out.  But for some reason, Krogers thinks I'm a senior citizen.  I don't mind as long as they keep giving me the senior citizen discount.  In fact, I'm heading back up there right now to take advantage of the discount and get my 8 cans of Stokley canned vegetables for a buck.  Uh, make that 90 cents with my discount.

No comments: