Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It Just Ain't Fittin'

I ran up to our 'hood drugstore earlier this evening to pick up a few things and saw something there that made me almost say out loud "WTF?"  There in front me in the checkout line was a man - an older yuppy, probably in his mid-forties.  He had on khaki shorts and a navy blue golf shirt. That didn't make me want to say "WTF" - his shoes did.  He was wearing slip-on dress shoes without socks.  They had tassles, too.  And they were some type of reptile hide, too. 

I see men wearing slip-on shoes with no socks a lot here in Louisville.  They're usually penny loafers or leather lace-up deck shoes.  But every now and then I'll see a guy wearing slip-on dress shoes without socks.  It's just weird.  I'll admit I wear my Dexter leather lace-up shoes without socks, and I've even worn my penny loafers a time or two without socks back during my preppy era in the early 80s, but the man wearing dress shoes without socks was just odd.   I don't know why this bothers me but it just does.It just doesn't look right.

I would have expected to see this type of fashion ensamble in the east end of town, but not in the south end.  Here in the south end, you would expect to see men wearing flip-flops or those black rubber sports sandals with socks. You're also liable to see young women wearing flannel sleep pants with the sports sandals and socks, too, but we've already covered that in a journal entry back in December.  Maybe the guy at the drugstore was en east end wannabe - he might been in the south end but he was sure dressing the east end part. 

No comments: