Friday, June 23, 2006

Ladies Auxiliary State Convention Report, Day 1

Today, I received my first major does of the pomp and circumstance that goes along with the VFW - I attended the VFW state convention as a delegate. It was held here in the 'Ville, at one of the big hotels about 15 minutes from The Compound.  There's not too many outside activities that I would use vacation days for, but our district president said that I had to attend, so I was there. It started a bit too early for my liking - 8:00 - but I was there early and met up with our chapter President and Treasurer.  The morning meeting was interesting.  It was a joint meeting with the men and the Ladies Auxiliary. I was very impressed with the color guard, and even more impressed that the National VFW Commander was there. The state officers and a few of the district officers marched into the meeting in a very cool march called "The Cross of Malta".  I didn't do any online research about this, but I will say that it was very well choreographed, and the ladies doing the marching pattern had to have very good memories.  Nobody got out of step nor messed up.  I was very impressed.

I had heard from others that the convention was boring, but I have to say in all honesty I wasn't bored.  I was rather fascinated.  I was getting into the paegentry with the flags and the marching in and all.  I was especially into the saluting.  I just wish I was a veteran so I could have worn one of those cool envelope-shaped hats.  But I did get an "I support the troops" bracelet to wear, plus I got a very cool pin from the National Commander, which I will wear proudly.

The one thing that made this day-long session not boring was what the National Commander said in his address.  He told about how he just got back two weeks ago from Iraq and Afghanistan, where he visited with the troops.  He told stories from his visits to the troops in the military hospitals and to the troops in combat.  The one theme kept repeating as he told the group what the troops had told him - they all said how proud they were to serve their country, and how they were proud of an organization like the VFW.  I'm not ashamed to say that a few of his stories brought most of the crowd - including yours truly - to tears.  How could you be bored when you heard something like that? 

No comments: