Monday, June 12, 2006

A Good Waste Of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

I've never been the kind of person to mix my food up on my plate.  I'm not anal like some people about their food touching - that's fine with me.  But I don't mix things up on my plate, like some people mix peas or corn with their mashed potatoes.  So as soon as I heard about KFC's new "Famous Bowls" I was not in a hurry to check them out.  

When I first heard a commercial advertising the "New Famous KFC Bowls" I thought for sure that KFC was going to be an official sponsor of some big college football game. I was kinda disappointed when I found out that wasn't the case.  I was hoping to get to watch a college football game on Thanksgiving Day or New Years Day and see "The KFC Bowl." Imagine my disappointment when I found out was a new item brought to us by the good folks at Yum! headquarters. 

In case you didn't know, the new KFC bowl is a small bowl of their awesome mashed potaotes and gravy, with a layer of corn and popcorn chicken topped with cheese.  Yes, you heard right.  Gravy and cheese - all in the same dish.  If that doesn't sound like a sure fire recipe for acid reflux, I don't know what is.  It just sounds gross to me with it all mixed together.  If they packaged the items separately, I might be tempted to buy it.  Everybody likes corn with their fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy - that's a Southern staple.  But mess it all up by mixing it together and putting cheese and more gravy on top of it is almost sacriligious.  Ordinarily, I'd be the first to say anything is better with some melted cheddar or colby on it.  But not KFC's bowls.  I don't want anything on my mashed potatoes except gravy; more specifically, brown gravy.  My aversion to white/milk gravy is a story for another day.

No comments: