Monday, May 9, 2005

Ruthless Interrogation At Walgreens

It's true that April showers bring May flowers, but along with the flowers also comes allergy season.  This spring has been brutal.  I've talked to people who don't even sneeze during the spring months, and they've made the first of many trips ot the drugstore and allergy doctor for relief from the sneezing and itchy, watery eyes.  It's been rough for me.  I think we feel worse when we see the weatherazzi give the pollen and mold spore index during their weather forecasts.
The levels have been in the high category for a few weeks now, and they say it will be like this until the end of May.  Lovely. 

I ran up to Walgreens last night to get a box of allergy relief medication.  I'd thought about calling my allergy doctor today and begging him to refill my Zirtec prescription, but it would be the same vicious cycle that it always is: "Sorry, but we can't refill the prescription.  You'll have to come in and let the doctor examine first."  Sorry, but I'm not going to take off from work, come in there and wait for an hour in the waiting room filled with sneezing people, and pay you for an office visit and exam that consists of the doctor looking in my nose and ears.  This spring, I'll take my chances with the OTC stuff. Stacy recommended that I get Tavist D, so that's what I got. Since the new meth laws went into effect, I had to get the stuff back at the pharmacy. I walked up to the counter there was a huge line with a PAT working there. I stood there in line as patiently as I could, and breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally my turn.  Actually, with my allergies, it was more of a wheeze than a sigh.  But you get the picture. I asked the PAT for a box of Tavist D. I had my money already out and almost handed him the cash when he started to scan the UPC code on the box. Then the PAT put the box down, and started the interrogation. Here's a transcript of our conversation:

PAT: I have to ask you what you need this for.
Puddin: OK, then ask me. 
PAT: (With a quizical look on his face) Huh?
Puddin: You said you had to ask me what I needed this for, and I said ok, you can ask me.
PAT: (Still with quizical look) So, what do you need it for?
Puddin: The pollen and mold spore levels are in the unhealthy range, and it makes me sneeze all day long.  So I'd like to purchase this box of over-the-counter allergy relief medication.
PAT: OK. But you know that some people use it to make meth, don't you?
Puddin: Oh, really? (I felt like crap, but I was having fun with this) You can't be serious?
PAT: Oh yeah.  They use it to make meth.  They make it in meth labs in people's garages and stuff.

Need I say any more? The sneezing and itching doesn't seem to bad when compared to what I had to go through to get the allergy meds.  It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase about the cure being worse than the cause

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did that really happen????  Wow.