Saturday, May 21, 2005

Nana's Rose Bush

The storms have moved out, and it's a gorgeous day here at The Compound.  This is the 'rents' favorite time of the year.  They are at their happiest when they're outside puttering around in the flowers and the garden.  Here's some pictures of our gorgeous rose bush in the backyard.  We call it Nana's Roses. 

Here's the family story behind the big rose bush.  Our neighbor's, Ed and Alice, were like a second set of grandparents to me. Their house was my second home when I was little.  Alice's mother, who we all called Nana, would come up from Glasgow (Kentucky, not Scotland) every few months to visit, and I loved her to pieces.  One spring, she brought a piece of a rose bush she had in her yard, and Ed and Alice were able to grow a bush from it.  A few years later, they gave a piece to us, and Grandpa and Grandma nursed it and were able to get our own bush started from it.  Ed, Alice, and Nana are all gone now, as are Grandpa and Grandma, but I see them everytime I look at Nana's rose bush.

No comments: