Monday, May 30, 2005

A Memorable Memorial Day

I took my Dad to the Bats game Saturday night.  It was his first trip to a Bats game, and his first visit to Slugger Field. We had a great time. We both enjoyed our great supper, a double fried bologna sandwich; we laughed at the Blues Brothers; we  enjoyed father-daughter bonding.  And the Bats managed to win the game,even.  It was a great evening, but I could have gone home a happy girl before the first pitch was even thrown.

The players had been introduced, and the announcer asked everyone to stand up while the organist played the national anthem.  The crowd of 6,000+ was on their feet, looking in the direction of left field as our flag was waving in the wind while the national anthem was being played.  A third of the way into the song, I heard something - it was a voice singing along with the national anthem, and it was coming from right next to me.  My father, a proud Navy veteran who served during the Korean War, was singing the national anthem.  I can't think of a more fitting tribute to the veterans and soldiers than this. I can't begin to tell you how proud that made me feel.  I was glad I was wearing dark sunglasses, so nobody could see the tears in the corners of my eyes.  It sure made this Memorial Day memorable.

No comments: