Wednesday, May 18, 2005

File Under: WTF?

Since January 1, Jeff Tweiten has been waiting in line.  When you add it all up, that comes to a total of 139 days.  Tweiten hasn't been waiting for a heart transplant, nor has he been waiting for the end of the world; he hasn't even been waiting in line at the DMV.  This 27 year old from Seattle has been waiting for the premier of "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith."  For four and a half months, this guy has been camped out on a blue fuoton couch on the sidewalk in front of a movie theater in downtown Seattle.  The theater will be showing the movie at midnight tonight, and on his way back home to his own bed in his Seattle apartment, I wonder if Jeff will ask himself "Was this worth giving up over four months of my life?"  Somehow, I kinda don't think so. 

During his 139 days of camping out in front of the movie theater, Jeff has been called a loser, a geek, and a bum, just to name a few of the printable things he's been called.  The articles I read about Jeff say what an intelligent and artistic man he is.  I'm hardcore, but I think I would have go along with the "loser" title on this one.  I've seen movies a few times on the first day they premired at the theater, but someone camping out on the sidewalk for four and a half months is just crazy. I wouldn't stand in line for four and half hours to see myself star in a movie, much less four and a half months.  The article said that he has also seen each of the Star Wars movies about 1200 times.  Does anyone else think the term "obsessive-compulsive" might apply here?

I'm no HR expert, but somehow I don't think you could pass this leave of absence off on the FMLA.  Realistically, if you were a company owner, would you want to rehire someone that left their job for four and a half months to wait in line to see a science fiction movie?  Unless your name was George Lucas, I don't think so. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. that's ridiculous. i agree. i wouldn't wait 4 hours to see myself star in a movie. haha. This story seems to be applicable to some other future event and crazy people waiting in line for way too damn long...haha. only trumpster would know what i'm talking about.

Einstein