Saturday, March 31, 2012

What Game???

I'm going out on a limb and will guess that my family will be among the minority this evening because we most likely will not be watching the UK vs U of L basketball game.  For those of you who have not been near a TV, newspaper, the internet or any other form of media for the past week, UK and U of L will play against each other tonight in the NCAA basketball tournament, and the winner will go on to play Monday night in the championship game.

I just don't like March Madness and all of the trash-talking that goes along with it.  This year, however, I did wear college team t-shirts during this madness.  I had a UK t-shirt that was 4 or 5 years old, as Dad has an old one as well, and he and I started wearing them to church on Wednesday nights out of solidarity for one of the deacons who is a huge UK fan; needless to say Walnut Street Baptist Church is predominantly U of L. One Wednesday night a few weeks ago, one of the little ladies who is a diehard U of L fan was joking me about my UK shirt and asked how come I wasn't wearing a U of L shirt.  I told her that if I had one, I would wear it, as I don't really like or dislike either team; I'm proud of my city and my state equally.  Wouldn't you know that the next Wednesday she gave me a very nice bright red U of L t-shirt. They made me put it on over my Wildcat blue t-shirt I was wearing.  So just to follow the crowds, whenever the two teams were playing during March Madness, I would wear the appropriate t-shirt that day; never mind that I didn't watch the games.  There were quite a few laughs, especially at work;  a few of the women from the Accounting department who are big U of L fans came down to my office and hugged me when they heard I had on a U of L shirt, and they both said they never gave up hope for me. 

The games come to an end on Monday.  But I'll still wear my t-shirts.

No comments: