Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Grandpa

I know I haven't mentioned him much, but today was my Grandpa's birthday.  He was born wayyyy back in 1901.  He died in 1977, way too young, but he was an awesome man. 

Grandpa was probably one of the strongest men I've ever met - his arms were so muscled, that he reminded me of Popeye. He was a carpenter by trade, but could do just about anything.

Grandpa had a reputation that definitely preceded him - he was a big practical joker and prankster.  I've heard many stories about the pranks that he and his brother Paul would pull, and based on what I've heard, it's a miracle they both lived to tell about them.

Just a few weeks ago, Mom told me a story about a prank that Grandpa pulled.  I was just a toddler when it happened, and much to my dismay, I wasn't there to see it happen.  But I got the story firsthand.  Mom and Grandpa had gone to the grocery store on a Friday night as was the ritual, and while they were shopping, Grandpa decided to prank some poor unsuspecting shopper.  He grabbed an arm full of cake mixes and put them in a woman's shopping cart when she wasn't looking.  And then they followed her through the store, and wound up behind her in the checkout line.  The woman started checking out, and imagine the look on her face when the cashier started ringing up a dozen boxes of cake mix that she didn't put in her shopping cart.  Mom said that Grandpa was bent over in laughter as it happened.  I don't doubt that for a minute.

Happy birthday, Grandpa.  I still miss you.  And I thank you so much for passing on the gift of laughter to me, and I thank you for teaching your son (my Father) the importance of family.

No comments: