Saturday, March 3, 2012

Flashback Saturday

One of the biggest tornardo outbreaks happened back on April 3, 1974 in the Louisville area. I was 11 when that happened, but without today's technology and instant pictures and information, we didn't really know what was going on around us.  Yesterday was a different story.  With Dopplar and Super Dopplar and all of our local TV channels broadcasting continuous coverage, we knew exactly where the tornados were. 

Like I said, I was a kid when the April 3rd tornados hit, and then, my most vivid memory was the day after on April 4.  Dad was out helping with search and rescue, and me, Mom and Grandpa went up to the drugstore to pick up a prescription and go to the grocery store adjacent to the drugstore.  As we were walking into the drugstore, I looked up at the sky and saw the bluest, clearest sky that I had ever seen in my short 11 years.  I'd never seen such a sky until this morning; the day after the devastating tornados hit southern Indiana.  I walked outside this morning to get something from the garage, and looked up at the sky and remembered that it looked just like it did on April 4, 1974.  Yeah, it was eerie.

No comments: